Do you enjoy interactive Bible studies – books that are packed with ideas and activities to creatively engage with God’s word in exciting new ways? I adore these types of studies, and was delighted when a new book in the “Discovering the Bible Series” was released. “Discovering Joy in Philippians: A Creative Bible Study Experience” was brought to life by Pam Farrel, Jean E. Jones, and Karla Dornacher, and follows in the footsteps of their first book in the series, “Discovering Hope in the Psalms”.
“Discovering Joy in Philippians” is a large-sized book to begin with, and each page is overflowing with creative opportunities to really bring Scripture to life. Divided into eleven chapters, each with five days, the book focuses on several verses from Philippians each week. Each daily lesson varies greatly, but some of the features include:
- Question and answer spaces for reflection
- Numerous, beautifully-drawn Scripture coloring pages and bookmarks that may be copied and colored (the authors specifically recommend coloring while meditating on and memorizing the specific verse)
- Sidebars packed with information ranging from inspirational quotes to Bible history, plus small-sized, whimsical designs to color and make your own
- Links to online content that corresponds with the topic of discussion
- Philippians-inspired actions steps to start incorporating an attitude of joy into our daily lives
- And SO much more!
Each of the women who worked together to create “Discovering Joy in Philippians” brings special, unique, beautiful gifts to the project. The resulting outcome? A book that goes far beyond a regular Bible study and becomes a portal we can step through, entering a journey of actively and creatively bringing Scripture to life in ways that are meaningful to each of us individually. Pam, Jean, and Karla are to be commended greatly for using their unique talents to create such an incredible and potentially life-changing Bible study. If you are looking for a new way to dive deeper into Scripture, and if you have even the tiniest bit of artistic interest inside you, I highly recommend either book in the “Discovering the Bible Series” – you will be astounded at how much is packed into these amazing volumes!
This book was provided courtesy of Harvest House Publishers, in exchange for my honest review.